Aug 14, 2008
school blunder
We live right on the boundary line between two elementary schools and my neighbors weren't sure which one my girls would go to. When we moved we left my dad's house in West Bountiful and found a place of our own in Bountiful, closer to North Salt Lake. The girls finished out the last school year in West Bountiful, but I knew I would have to change them to a school where we now live. So back in the spring, about March or April, I called one of the two schools and told them our address, asking if we were in their boundaries or if I needed to call the other elementary. They told me I had called year right school, we were in their boundary. So I pulled together all the paperwork and registered my girls, even doing it early enough to request morning kindergarten as the daycare had asked me to do. Two weeks ago my girls got letters from their new teachers and small supply lists, the excitement was mounting! Yesterday I received a phone call from the elementary school, "oops, we've made a mistake your kids are supposed to go to the other school." *moment of silence from myend of the phone as a million thoughts run through my head... It had already been a stressful and emotional day (that time of month? Very possibly how else can I explain this mood?) finally I ask what am I supposed to do? Already my girls are prepped for this. They've been through so much w the divorce and the moving in and out of my dad's. And from my ex's side w him marrying "her" and their upcoming baby all I want to give my girls is stability. So i'm listening to the school's secretary tell me I can apply for a variance to get permission to stay at that school, which I already know won't be approved and even if it was I'd have to switch them next year anyway, or call the other school and hurry and register them. School starts in a week and a half. "I called you clear back in he spring and asked you whose boundaries we were in before I even registered." "yes we know, we apologize." what the hell am I supposed to say to that? Luckily I work at a very understanding place w great bosses who completely understand when I need to go play mom. (i'm sure the break down in tom's office helped in getting me the rest of the day off too lol... Still claiming it as to be that time of the month.) I called the "right" elementary and explained to them what had happened. They were very considerate and helpful, except their morning kindergarten was full w a waiting list. Good thing I was on the ball back in the spring so I could get that set up for the daycare. I called the daycare and told them what had happened. They said they would work it out (they take my girls to and from school while i'm at work). I went to theold school and picked up the registration paperwork where they apologized for the mistake and I gritted my teeth in an effort to be pleasant. It's hard enough doing the single work mom thing all on my own w out unnecissary bumps likes this. When I arrived at the new school the secretary told me she'd been to bat for me w the principal. Morning kindergarten had more boys than girls so if my kindergartener was a girl they would let her in. Well lucky me I have nothing BUT girls! In year end it worked out and at least my girls never actually started at the first school so really the only change for them was in their thinking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's so hard to be a mom sometimes isn't it! :) Keep your chin up and remember that your girls will all thank you for all you've done someday (at least I am praying that will happen with my own). I remember being a single mom for awhile to and it can be very difficult! I'll be thiking of you.
Liz
I'm glad the morning kindergarten thing worked out - don't you love bureaucracy? Thinking about you...
Wow... what an experiance! That would have sent me over edge... as you know, I don't hold together well in times of anger! LOL
Post a Comment